POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : I think I forgot something... (163 kB bu) : Re: I think I forgot something... (163 kB bu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 16:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think I forgot something... (163 kB bu)
From: Gergely Vandor
Date: 13 Jan 2002 22:42:46
Message: <3c4253b6@news.povray.org>
> Wow !
>
> - Nice image.

Thanks :)

> This seems to be a shape that is quite similar to
> the one I made in late January 2001: "Outside It"

Well, that one seems a bit more complex (and cooler) than mine to me. :)

> How long time did it take to render ?

The image you see took about 6 hours, but a version with 640x480 and
acceptable quality rendered within an hour. Athlon XP 1400 mhz. Sure it is
nice to have a powerful CPU.

> And is this shape made with CSG ?
> Or as a "blobbed" iso-surface ?

It's a blobed blob :) I can post the source if you are interested, but it's
just a blob with a sphere and 3 negative cylinders along each axis. I first
tried CSG but I found out that the simplest approach is to do it with the
blob object.

I also have an animation of the photon caustics without the object, the
quality is ok (it seems artefacts are impossible to get rid of entirely
though), and povray split out a 640x480 frame in 6 mins :) All common codecs
(mpeg1, mpeg2, divx, indeo) seem to totally mess it up though :(

I'm still new to photons, so it would be great if someone would help me
optimize my settings after I posted the source. I also find that the AA is
less than perfect (look at the top of the object and some of the sharper
lines of photon highlights for exapmle). Is this a limitation of povray or
am I missing something? My settings were:
threshold 0.05
depth 3
method 1

Oops I'm a bit too talkative this night (morning) I guess.

Gergely

PS: should photon jitter be avoided in animations? Is it the same kind of
random noise as in AA and media?